Friday, October 06, 2023

30 Days Writing Challenge 2023 Day 6 - Single and Happy

I got married when I was 40 years, 8 months and 2 days old.

I watched almost all my siblings get married. I watched almost all my cousins, even the ones 15 years younger than me get married and have kids. I watched the majority of my friends get hitched and start a new wonderful life with their significant others. 

Was I sad? Was I angry? 

No way!! 😁

And this, I speak for all my single friends who are still single and who married late, just like me 😁

People (particularly those who are unhappy, I assume) love to say that us late bloomers are resentful, are jealous, are so many things that we aren't. I only get angry at these types of people, never to those who are in wedded bliss.

Of course there were times we felt the need for companionship, but c'mon, that's normal!

Sometimes we do get scared watching married people be more unhappy than they were when they were single but we take the lesson and keep it close to us then try not to let it scare us much. 

Most of the time, we actually enjoy our time with ourselves 🥰

I learnt that even though I'm an introvert, I actually love going out.. Alone! 😝

I have no problem eating out alone. I can order whatever I want and enjoy my meal just like that. It's times like these that I am more adventurous as I can take my own sweet time to choose whatever is on the menu and to savor it accordingly. 

I have no problem shopping alone. I used to love buying blouses at the now closed Parksons at Prangin even while I lived in Nibong Tebal. Since I prefer less crowds, I'd drive there in the morning dari NT so I'll arrive early. Ala² tolong bukak kedai 😂 Then I can choose without worrying about making people wait for me. 

I loved doing movie marathons alone too. Especially dulu² masa Tuesdays was Student Discount days (this was when I was a postgrad student), Wednesdays was half-priced days or Thursday was Ladies Discount day. During summer kn bnyk movie baru keluar so pilih minggu where there were 3 movies I wanted to watched then marathon la sampai mlm 🤭

Do I even need to talk about book buying alone? 😝 I could spend hours (and of course la I actually did 😂) without annoying anyone. But just to clarify, the Exboyfriend doesn't get annoyed when I spend too much time at bookstores.. At least I don't think he does 🙊

Us (then) single ladies could also enjoy socializing with our own special circle whenever we liked AND we got the best of both worlds sbb we enjoy time with single and married friends without worrying about a husband or kids. I'd say it was our pleasure to help married friends enjoy their limited me time to the fullest 😁

We organized picnics at the beach, hanging out at malls, briskwalking together in the parks even joined runs together without much worry. We even offhandedly daydreamed of finding old folks home together so we can enjoy the friendship till the very end. 

Do I love married life? With it's ups and downs, it's an exciting lifetime adventure.. Yes, of course! 

But do I also love my once upon a time ago single life? Definitely 😁 We're a happy bunch of people, content with our lives and enjoy celebrating our married friends milestones together.

So no, don't you ever dare call those who are single envious nor resentful. You might actually learn a thing or two about true happiness. 😉

No comments: