Sunday, October 08, 2023

30 Days Writing Challenge 2023 Day 8 - The Power of Music

Music is not really my field. If you ask me the difference between each notes, or if you give me a note and ask me to guess which one it is, I might as well admit I'm tone deaf. 


And if you proceed to teach me about the said notes, my eyes would glaze over in no time after my mind has struggled to try to understand your kind teachings.. Sorry 😅


But I DO love listening to music, more specifically worded songs. I don't think I have ever met anyone who hates songs. Hate certain songs? Yes.. Hate certain genres? Also yes.. But to not even have a love for music tu mcm tkde langsung kot. 


To me the power of music is how they tie to one's emotions and/or how they may influence it. I'm sure you've heard about how a simple smell can trigger a memory? Well, a simple tune from a well loved song could do that too kan


A soft lullaby could lull a baby to sleep and when you've sang it to your baby brother/sister enough times, you'll find the lullaby could soothe you too during times you are anxious.. Regardless of how horrifying the meaning of the lyrics turn out to be haha.. (read: Rock-a-bye Baby) 


I've struggled with insomnia ever since I was a child. One night, as I was tossing and turning trying to sleep, I was suddenly running happily into the cave with Red while the Fraggle Rock theme song was heard all around me. I fell into a deep sleep once I met the Fraggles. How do I know it was a deep sleep by then? Because I blacked out terus 😝 Don't remember anything after that. 


Funnily till now, when I'm sometimes having trouble falling asleep, I remember that dream every now and then. Half the time, I fall asleep right when I meet the Fraggles. I'm 43 now, that incident happened when I was 5? 6? Still works wpun only half the time.. Or maybe that was just a sign that my body and mind has decided to rest. 


There are songs that remind me of my heartbreak. 20 years ago I got my heart broken by my bestfriend and I was a mess. I felt like I was constantly holding back tears and forcing a smile with everyone, even to those who knew I was shattered. I was trying to pretend I was okay and failing miserably. Even his mum got worried and she kept calling my fellow RO, dear kak Ana, to ask about me. It didn't help that this song resonated deeply with me that I kept listening to it continuously. 


Also didn't help when a few years later after I received his invitation card, my heart shattered into a million pieces all over again and, you guessed it, this song was once again my anthem.


Till this day, I sometimes (not always, but most of the time) avoid 'How Could An Angel Break My Heart' because there are times when I'm minding my own business then this song comes up and I'd suddenly burst into tears. NOT because of what happened, I've been over it for years now. But because of the emotion that surges everytime I hear this song. It's as if I'm experiencing my heartbreak all over again. 


There are also happy songs. One time I got smitten with this unlikely song (Yup! You read that right 😂 I got a crush on a song 😂) that I'd always play first thing I come into the postgrad room every morning. Abg Fadzil calls If That's Okay With You as Lagu Cikebum Ayu 😂


Then dulu during my cousin, Elin's wedding as we were helping Wan Chor in the kitchen sbb lauk habis, my sister laughed at me when Sedetik Lebih was played by the DJ sbb dlm penat² tu, my face instantly brightened when we heard the intro of the song and continued radiating right until the end 😂


Sbb tu la kot I chose that song for our kenduri 😝


When I had to move from the old rumah sewa, I was really penat. I had only a 1-month notice sbb tuan rumah urgent nk jual rumah so it was quite a rush to pack EVERYTHiNG, I noticed I packed quicker to Shakira's La La La (Brazil 2014) song 😂 Aci? 


Later I added Better When I'm Dancin' sbb I'm a Snoopy fan and masa tu baru lepas tgk Peanuts movie tu 😂 Lagu lain tk jalan, dua lagu ni je 😂😂😂


But the most memorable one happened a few years into my first degree. I actually just shared this story in my Twitter the other day.


Me and my siblings were never close to my father. He demanded perfection, something that wasn't easy for us so we never turned to him much for anything since we were scared of the disapproval and criticism. I always thought he didn't know much about our personality, about our likes and dislikes. 


One day, they were at Sunshine (what I first thought aritu when I shared in Twitter ) or Popular KOMTAR (what my memory seems convinced it is now) looking for stationeries. Suddenly they played If I Let You Go in store. This was when Westlife was everywhere and I, like so many others, was crazy about their songs. 


Adi was still choosing what he wanted when Abah tapped his shoulder and asked, "Ni lagu yg kak Yong suke tu kan?" much to my brother's suprise. 


Balik tu, he rushed to call me to tell me all about it. Like I said in Twitter, dia tanak nganga sorg² 😂 But yes, we were really suprised. 


So smpi skrg if I hear that song, this would always come to mind 🥰


So there's my take on the power of music and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one feeling this way 😁


P/S Please refrain from commenting about betapa lagho nyaaaaa laa dok dengar lagu² ni.. Klau terdetik dlm hati, shushhhh.. Gi main jauh²


#30dayswritingchallenge

No comments: