Tuesday, February 14, 2012

7th Challenge ~ A Song That Reminds You of A Certain Event

During matriculation at KMK, I befriended a girl who was so different from me. Her name was Ima. She was from MRSM Taiping and wore 'tudung labuh' while the religious-school-goer, ME, just wore the normal type of hijab. She was confident and friendly while I was painfully shy and very unsure of myself. While I tried to hide away from people, she tried her best to include me in the college social circle.

There was this time when Miss Marzita (the English teacher) announced that they were organizing an English Camp for the college. This would mean that not only would the USM Matriculation students be in the camp, but it would also include the students from UPM, UMS and KPUTM..

..ok! That alone terrified me! I was still trying to make myself invisible to my fellow MUSM students, ni pulak nak suruh join program with other units so I didn't even consider joining in the program.

Yeah right! As if Ima would allow that! Hah!

She wanted to go and she had made up her mindI would go too. No, she didn't even force me but she asked me to help her with her appeal letter (Well, CM being CM, had asked those who wanted to join to write a letter to her on why he/she should be chosen to go to the camp) and bit by bit she persuaded me to write my own letter. Of course I didn't want to but Ima was such a sweet girl, you just couldn't say no. Still, I made sure my letter didn't sound like I wanted to go..

..and just my luck. CM had taken a fancy on my, something about the way I talk (What the..?!?! I KNOW I don't talk funny when it comes to English.. more like mumbling under my breath tu ade lah kot since didn't like speaking in front of people), so she had chosen me to participate in the camp.. haiyaaa~~

Ima was overjoyed since she was also chosen and I was dreading sleeping in a tent at a camp site near Tasik Chenderoh for the weekend. It didn't help when I found out we were in different groups and all groups had a mix of students from the 4 matrix units in KMK. I was petrified, ok!

So imagine my suprise when I realized, I actually kinda liked the outdoors! Hah! Who'd've thought.. dah la mase sekolah tak pernah join pun any kind of camping ke ape ke.. not even the camping-tido-kat-sekolah-je.

One of the most memorable days was when each group was given a compass and some directions, then we were left on our own to find our way home. It was relaxing and tiring all at the same time. Relaxing coz there were no teachers assigned for each group so we could talk in bahasa for a change. C'mon la, the whole group consist of malays so sape la larat nak cakap English manjang kaaaaaannn.. ok, so some of us still tried to talk in English with each other, as the regulation of the camp, but after an hour or so of treading through the forest..

And the tiring part plak was.. well, the hiking and jungle tracking itself la kan! I was sure I was gonna hate it but though my group got lost (and we somehow managed to find ourselves kat tepi jalan raya!), I realized that I really liked these kind of activities. Mase ni baru nak nyesal on how much I missed out during school kan.

Hahah.. and who can forget when we had to go through this rubber plantation. You know how the trees are all planted in an organized way? Well, we were kinda tired by then so these UMS boys in my group (somehow, the MUMS students have always been potrayed as the students who know how to have fun as opposed to us MUSM students who seem a bit too serious) gave us an impromptu Hindi song performance while dancing around those rubber trees.. leaving us in stitches.

Well, anyway.. we were among the last groups to arrive back at the campsite. By then, my nervousness (does the word even exist?) was gone and I felt really at home with my groupmates. We were given some time to get ready for the night with and interesting activity promised for the night.

Turned out, each group had tio perform 2 songs each. Normal activity eh? Well, we, of course, had to chose English songs BUT, 1 song was to be a malay song translated into English.

My group chose KRUs Apa Saja and had fun translating the song together. I'd like to have put this song for the challenge but konpem la our English version of the song takde dlm YouTube kan hehe.. besides, I don't remember our English lyrics for the song except the first line of the first verse,  ♪ I'd do anything for youuuu ♫

As for the English song, we chose this song..

And why is this song memorable enough that it reminds me of the KMK English Camp more than 10 years ago?

Well, when we performed this song, suddenly everyone was in the mood for some campfire singing and before long, the whole camp was singing along with us.. sweet!

I went back from the camp a more confident person.. and with more friends. Including the ones from other units than MUSM. I just regret that we don't have any pictures of the camp coz even remembering it all (with my fuzzy memory) has made me smile.

Thank you, Ima.. for making me go! ♥

Day 07 ~ A song that reminds you of a certain event


How Do I Live ~ Trisha Yearwood

How do I get through
One night without you?
If I had to live without you
What kind of life would that be?

Oh I, I need you in my arms, need you to hold
You're my world, my heart, my soul
If you ever leave, baby, you would
Take away everything good in my life

Without you
There'd be no sun in my sky
There would be no love in my life
There'd be no world left for me

And I, baby, I don't know what I would do
I'd be lost if I lost you
If you ever leave, baby, you would
Take away everything real in my life

And tell me now
How do I live without you?
I want to know
How do I breathe without you?

If you ever go
How do I ever, ever survive?
How do I, how do I
Oh, how do I live?

If you ever leave
Baby, you would take away everything
Need you with me, baby, 'cause you know
That you're everything good in my life

And tell me now
How do I live without you?
I want to know
How do I breathe without you?

If you ever go
How do I ever, ever survive?
How do I, how do I
Oh, how do I live?

How do I live without you, baby?
Baby, how do I live?

No comments: