Thursday, January 19, 2012

Betrayal of a memory?!?!


So my fever is gone but my coughing doesn't seem to wanna go away. According to my usual pattern, my voice would be this way for almost two weeks but this also means that I'm getting better, especially since I could now sleep without the help of eucalyptus oil anymore.. so no complaints there. Just wanted to share something..

My class was fine for the first hour just now but during the second hour, maybe due to me talking a bit too much, I found myself coughing non-stop. Though I know I'm getting better, I didn't really want anyone to get uncomfortable with my coughs o after leaving my form 3 students with a few questions, I dashed to the grocery shop downstairs to find what they had as a remedy.

I saw the usual cough syrup I've always used (which actually hasn't been working that much for the last two bottle.. maybe because the doses are getting weaker kah.. or maybe jugak coz I'm already immune to that particular brand) but as I tried to grab that particular brand, my hand automatically went to the other brand beside it.

Guess my body was trying to remind me that I need a new cough syrup..

..which a lil' (very little!) part of me started feeling like I was betraying IM!

Ok.. ape kes? Hahah..

A few years ago, when I was still contemplating whether to do my MSc or not, I had come down with a bad cough. Well, not as bad as now but then I was rarely sick so coughing was so very not me and made me squirmish while trying to avoid people. I didn't go to work (I was an RO in my school) and stayed in my room all day. That day I had actually felt a bit better, but the air conditioned room worsened my condition so I decided to take the day off and went back to my room.

I wasn't really sick as in fever sick, only had a bad cough so I was really bored when I was back in my room. Luckily I always had a good stock of books so before long I found myself sitting at my desk, reading. A few moments into the book, my phone rang and I was a bit cheered up to see it was IM. He seldom called me in the day (or even at night if we were in USM.. the wonders of free internet kan!) so I was wondering why he called. Turned out, he had noticed me coming back early from work and was planning on 'investigating' if I was purposely 'tuang kerje'.

Ohh.. sy kan budak skema!

Anyway, I just told him I wanted to rest and didn't really need to tell him I was having a bit of a cough as he could hear my voice. I've always been uncomfortable of telling people I'm not well ke ape ke coz I don't want people to say I'm asking for their sympathy or something. He also didn't ask me to elaborate on my simple answer to his question and we continued to talk for a while before he told me he had to go somewhere to do something important.

I continued to read my book and was about to take a nap when once again my phone rang.. to my suprise it was him again. A suprise coz we seldom actually talk to each other (Ok, so dulu sy pemalu skit.. so what!) except for the nightly YMs, and this was two calls in one day.

He asked me to go down as he was waiting for me and though I was grumbling inside (Well, I'm a girl. Nak turun tu of course la kene tukar baju and pakai tudung elok² sumer..) I still went to see what he wanted.

When he saw me, he sheepishly handed me a plastic bag with something in it.. and I was wondering if it was another ice cream (he had once gone to Pekaka to do some photocopying.. and somehow when he saw the Walls freezer, he decided to buy some ice cream for the both of us. I almost laughed when he called me to go down to see him just so he could give me the already half-melted ice cream.. just because he was thinking of me..)

Err.. where was I?

Oh, yeah..

I opened the plastic bag in front of him and was confused to see this red box (Ok, I have to admit, I never liked buying off-the-shelf medicine before. I preferred going to the doctor so I didn't know it was a bottle of cough syrup at first). I looked at him and he just smiled and told me, just because I didn't wanna tell him, doesn't mean he couldn't guess what was wrong with me..

Well, I guess I had developed a bit of a crush on him then when I realized what his 'something important' actually was..

So.. Now I find it a bit 'menyusahkan' to go to the doctors sometimes so whenever I have a cough, I always buy the same brand of cough syrup.. even almost 10 years later now..

..but just now, I realized the cough syrup no longer provided me with the relief it once had. Mama used to say, too much of something makes you immune to it, so I guess thats what happened. It felt a bit surreal to see myself paying for another brand of cough syrup <-- Ok, cam drama lebey plak di situ

I guess a part of me just felt like it was betraying a memory.. <--Ok. konpem Ayu dok wat drama ni!

I went back to my class and suprises of suprises, I took one dose of the new cough syrup and I'm okay right till now..

Hmm..

No comments: